Tuesday 16 March 2010

The earth shook for me

Yesterday, at the Mizo festival, I met many many beautiful girls. Today, in the early hours of the morning, the earth moved. I felt it, I’m sure the girls all felt it. I only hope it was as exciting for them as it was for me. I jumped out of bed when it happened. Well, it’s been a long time since I’d experienced an earthquake.

I was happily dreaming of real ale and sausages and then the bed began moving. It took me a second to come back into the real world and then it registered. My god, it’s an earthquake. I’ve been here just about three weeks and the area has undergone three such quakes. This, however, was the first one I’d experienced. I leapt out of bed and thought, “what am I supposed to do?” Well, I did everything I shouldn’t. I went and stood outside on the balcony to see what anyone else would do. I had no specs on, so couldn’t see anything anyhow. So… I went back to bed!

As you might have already sussed, it wasn’t a major occurrence in the lives of the North East peoples. They live on one of the most seismic tectonic plates. The Asiatic plate is still moving after it crashed into the Eurasian plate all those millennia ago. It didn’t even figure on the tv news this morning. They were still concentrating on the world record bamboo pole dancing.

I had the tv on whilst waiting for my breakfast to be served. I’d opted for a fied egg, a plain omelette and a roti (Egg butties you see). I was amazed to be told that a roti was out of the question as the kitchen won’t make them in the morning. Nobody must have told yesterday’s chef as I had two then.

It’s Highway – Not Runway!
Yet another great road sign

It’s a long day today as we’re travelling back to Silchar for an overnight stop before travelling on to Cherrapunjee and Shillong the day after. It’s a seven hour drive and, really, what can one say about a long, hot drive through deep forest? Not a lot really. By the time we got to Silchar my arse was as numb as Wayne Rooney. Ok, perhaps not that numb then.

I’ve just had a walk round a discount shop here in Silchar. I was amazed at the prices. It’s cheaper in Rochdale! The shorts I bought from Matalan before coming out here, I paid the extortionate price of £8. The same kind of shorts were over 500/-, well on the way to £8. I’m starting to sound like an old biddy, I do apologise. Eeeeeh, look at the price of fish too Ada, it’s a disgrace!

Still, I’m out of Mizoram and that means one thing. I’m no longer in a dry state! So, I’m having a beer or two tonight.

Wahey! Yer all me besht mates! What a good evening. Down to the bar and they were showing the IPL, of which I know nowt. The barman welcomed me like a long lost friend. Ok, it might be false but, damn it feels good to be appreciated when no bugger has known you for almost a month. The assembled knew lots about the cricket and the buzz created was great. Want to know the result? Rajasthan Rajas beat Mumbai Indians and that’s as much as you need to know. From there we switched over to Premier League footie. Not the most exciting with Blacburn and Spurs playing but it’ll do for me. Oh, I forgot to mention, instead of giving me free nuts, barman gave me free chips! How bloody good is that?? I then went mad and ordered a half tandoori chicken and two chapattis, how’s that for finger food?

Stuffed and happy as Larry, I retired to my room to watch the rest of the days footie action. Well, sod you, it sounds good to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment